Week 8 – Inspired by the Oscars

Standard

20140310_203405[1]

 

The Facts

Fabric: duct tape

Pattern: from http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/diy-duct-tape-steampunk-top-hat

Year: Timeless

Notions: tulle, feathers, hot glue, a gear

Time to complete: 2 – 3 hours

First worn: not yet

Wear again? if I line the inside with felt or fabric and maybe add to or fix the brim.

Total Cost: From stash

When I saw this on my list, I got super exited because I love looking at the red carpet fashion at all of the awards ceremonies. However, the Oscars fell later this year than what it had in the past, so I was thinking that in order to follow the sewing challenges in the order that I have them in, I should go from either a movie or a dress from a previous year.

I was mostly thinking that I would go with last year’s Oscar ceremony and nominations, but I kept getting sidetracked with other things that I needed to work on and I didn’t do enough research early enough to figure out what I was going to make. It finally happened that I was able to watch some of the Oscars from this year for this challenge. I wasn’t able to watch much before having to go to bed so I could get up super early for work on Monday, as I currently do every week.

So here is a thing that I made before I saw the Oscar fashions for 2014, that can be referred to as inspired by the animated short film “Mr. Hublot” merely because it is steampunk, not because it actually has anything to do with anything in the film, but because I love steampunk.

I am a member of the Airship Passepartout Steampunk group here in Ohio. Recently, there was a hat and mask build day to prepare for the upcoming Voodoo Carnival (which I ended up not going to). Everyone who could, brought some crafting supplies to share and we all got to play at creating and embellishing a hat or mask or whatever project they were currently working on at the time. I was really looking forward to decorating a mask, but could not think of how I wanted it to look.

I am a Pinterest addict. There is so many inspiring ideas and links for how-to make a large majority of those ideas. While preparing for the build day, I found that I had a link to a tutorial on how to make a top hat out of duct tape. (http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/diy-duct-tape-steampunk-top-hat) I thought that was a brilliant idea and knew that there would be a hat that I could use as my template, as well as plenty of duct tape to use to make the hat. Unfortunately, I did not think to confirm that I was following the instructions as I was making the hat, so there are some problems with the hat as it currently is.  One of them being the sticky duct tape that pulls my hair in the inside of the hat. If I had followed the directions, there would be more layers of tape and the tape would be sealed in itself. Or, if I had done more research I could have used some of the tips on using duct tape found in this Instructable here (http://www.instructables.com/id/Duct-Tape-Top-Hat/). As you may be able to tell from the pictures, I have not painted the hat, nor have I added the hot glue rivets and other accents. I figure that I can do that after I figure out how to fix this top hat so that I can wear it comfortably.

Since there was so many craft supplies to choose from, I could not just stop at a mostly finished hat. There was a Steampunk crafting book available for inspirations and I really liked the idea of a cockade added to my hat. So, I made something that looks nothing like a cockade. I gathered some tulle, hot glued some feathers on top, and glued a gear on top. Then, I used a corsage pin to attach it to the hat temporarily. Sorry for the poor picture quality. I hope you can see enough that you can get the idea of what it looks like.  My apartment interior is very dark and cave-like, no matter how many lights we use.

20140310_203420[1]

Advertisements