I like to use socks and bits of fabric to make little creatures. Usually, I will try to make something cute, and it will end up a little creepy looking. It will be completely unintentional. I will fully intend to make an owl, or a dog, or a cat. But I make the eyes just a little bit too big. Or the legs don’t come out quite right. Or everything turned out like it was supposed to, but something is just a little bit off about the whole thing. Over time, I have begun to embrace the fact that my sock creations will end up being a little creepy whether I intend for them to or not. And there are times like now, when I decide that I will make something creepy, just to make something creepy. One of my friends showed me a picture of Slenderman. I had not heard of this creature before they showed me the picture that they found so creepy. I had been in the middle of creating a sock creature, and they were reminded of Slenderman by my creation. By the time that creature was finished, it no longer looked like Slenderman, but the idea had been planted in my brain.
First, I am starting with a sock:
This one has already been used for something, but there is plenty of sock left for what I need. I sewed up the top for the head. Then I cut the bottom to create the legs, and sewed them up as well.
Then I took the other sock and cut the really long arms. I also cut the heel of the second sock for the ears. I know part of what makes Slenderman so scary is the lack of face. However, I am making a Slenderman inspired creature, not a Slenderman sock creature. One day I may make a creature wearing a little black suit, with a black tie, and without a face. Today is not that day.
I sewed up the arms, stuffed them, and attached them to the body. Then I sewed up the ears and attached those as well. All that I have left is to create a face. Or not. I haven’t decided yet.
The weather here has been very weird for January. It had gone from cold and wintery, to warm and springlike, back to arctic and snow. It all just makes me want to stay in bed until spring really and truly arrives.
Since I am unable to hibernate until March, I decided to at least let our kitties have a chance at staying comfortable as they can be while the pendulum of nature swings back and forth between winter and summer. I sewed up a cat bed for another project I hope to get back to at some point during the summer. It was so easy to sew up and put together that I didn’t realize that I forgot to take pictures until I was done. So I did the only thing a cat owner can do – I made another one. Two cats means a minimum of two cat beds.
While I am staying warm and defining my specific goals for 2017, one of which includes creating something each week of the year and blogging about it, I thought I would share a recipe that is loved in my house. This recipe is Pollo alla Cacciatora (Hunter’s Wife’s Chicken). I got the recipe from a cooking pamphlet that my mom was getting rid of (but thankfully, it is also available online!)